What is fiber?
Dietary fiber is the indigestible portion of food derived from plants. There are two types of fiber – Soluble fiber which dissolves in water, it slows down digestion & Insoluble fiber helps in smooth and ease defecation.
Usually we should consume foods which are high in fiber daily. So that we can prevent any health problems related to constipation, indigestion and all. When a nutrionist suggest his/her patients a high fiber diet , which means the patients have some issues related to indigestion – constipation or something else. There may be various reasons for particular condition of patient but what I am try to say is our daily diet should include high fiber foods to prevent any health conditions.
Let’s jump into the foods which contain high fiber are :
- Apple (1 medium) – 5 gms of dietary fiber
- Pear (1 medium) – 6 gms of dietary fiber
- Sweet potato (1 medium) – 4gms of dietary fiber
- Broccoli (1 medium stalk) – 3 gms of dietary fiber
- Green beans (3/4th cup) – 3gms of dietary fiber
- Onion (1 medium) – 3 gms of dietary fiber
- Avocado (1/2) – 5 gms of dietary fiber
- Black beans (1/2 cup cooked) – 8 gms of dietary fiber
- Lentils (1/2 cup cooked) – 8 gms of dietary fiber
Based on energy intake, a level of about 40g of fiber/2000 Kcal in a diet is considered reasonably safe by Indian council of Medical Research.Intakes in excess of 60 g of fibre over a day can reduce the absorption of nutrients and may cause irritation in the bowel apart from diarrhoea.
Dietary fibers can lower the glycemic impact of foods, which can be especially beneficial for people managing their blood sugar levels. A high fiber diet can reduce the risk of stroke, hypertension and heart diseases. Also helps in weight loss and weight management.
Information given above are in very short and sweet manner. If you want to know more in detail then do let me know in the comments below. Thank you so much for reading. Improve your daily diet now if you prefer more on junk.
STAY HEALTHY, STAY HAPPY.