This is something to live with and manage your High Blood pressure.
Small changes can have great impact on your health. Here are few tips on how to incorporate the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet into your daily life.
The diet is simple:
- Eat more fruits, vegetables and low fat dairy foods
- Eat more whole-grain foods, fish, poultry, nuts.
- Limit sodium (salt), sweets, sugary drinks and red meats
- Cut back on foods that are high in saturated fat, cholesterol and trans fat.
In research studies, people who were on the DASH diet lowered their blood pressure within 2 weeks.
Another diet – DASH-Sodium : cutting back sodium to 1500 milligrams a day (about 2/3 teaspoon). Studies of people on the DASH-Sodium plan lowered their blood pressure as well.
DASH DIET TIPS
- Add a serving of vegetables at lunch and at dinner.
- Add serving of fruit to your meals or as snack. Canned and dried fruits are easy to use, but make sure they don’t have added sugar.
- Instead of snacking on chips or sweets, eat unsalted nuts,raisins, low fat & fat free yogurt,frozen yogurt, unsalted plain popcorn with no butter and raw vegetables.
MAINTAIN DIET :
Grains: 7-8 daily servings
Vegetables: 4-5 daily servings
Fruits: 4-5 daily servings
Low fat / fat free dairy products: 2-3 daily servings
Meat, poultry and fish: 2 or less daily servings
Nuts, seeds and dry beans: 4-5 servings per week
Fats and oil: 2-3 daily servings
Sweets: try to limit to less then 5 servings per week.
[ Servings – veges & fruits – 1 cup, oil -1 teaspoon , bread – 1 slice , cooked meat – 3 ounces , rice/pasta – 1/2 cup.]